I’m an Artist beginning my journey learning HTML and CSS to learn how to develop my own Avatar website. If you’ve ever even remotely been familiar with websites such as Gaiaonline.com or even just forums such as the one I’m posting this forum to (just with customizable avatars), I’m learning HTML/CSS to develop a website sorta similar.
My goal website is to develop a full screen chat box with a beautiful background asset where avatars appear within this chat box, they can type on screen and bubbles will appear above their head. They can type and conversate while navigating this chat box to earn gold to buy clothes for their avatar.
So with that, I’m wondering… can I all this be done simply through HTML/CSS or will I need to learn some JS as well?
The features I’d like the website to have:
- A large background that is set across the whole screen, is not affected by zooming in and out.
- Avatars to appear above the background on a platform somewhat reminiscent to old style fighting game, though the avatars won’t move and will be positioned in slots to avoid avatars overlapping each other.
- Servers/Rooms which users can switch between incase one is full or they want to talk to someone else.
- A background changing button, where users can change the backgrounds of the chat box on their side without changing it across everyone else’s.
- A catch-all menu button that display box in front of the chat box which displays a closer model of the avatar. The menu button will have additional buttons inside to change this box to “Avatar dress-up”, “Shop”, a private button for myself to upload new clothing easily within the website "private lair’, as well as a “settings” button to adjust chat filtering and bubble customization.
- A store menu that they can use “game” currency to purchase new clothing.
- A private lair where I can quickly upload images for the avatar that users can buy, allowing me to adjust, set gold value, or delete items.
- A profanity filter that users can regulate what text is seen.
Thank you for taking the time to read the layout of my goals!
Any feedback would be recommended!