Version mismatch between MySQL and Workbench

Good Afternoon,

I followed the prompts fir downloads and the versions are not in alignment, or are outdated. Is there a fix for that that doesn’t involve sucking the value out of what I spent on the course?

1 Like

This is the pop up message that follows loading workbench for connection to local instance:

Incompatible/nonstandard server version or connection protocol detected (8.3.0).

A connection to this database can be established but some MySQL Workbench features may not work properly since the database is not fully compatible with the supported versions of MySQL.

MySQL Workbench is developed and tested for MySQL Server versions 5.6, 5.7 and 8.0.

For MySQL Server older than 5.6, please use MySQL Workbench version 6.3.

If you download the latest versions of MySQL Server and MySQL Workbench will it work?

It seems to work per my severe lack of knowledge. My concern is the interface is nothing like the course content so following is nearly impossible. But more concerning is the pop up that states not all functions will work.

I had the same issue. I uninstalled WB and MySQL server and downloaded the SQL installer, which installs both with their proper versions. All works as intended now. Mosh uses the installer in the SQL course (on youtube) and I’m guessing he only downloads the Server installer this time around because he intends to use DataGrip. Not very fond of this decision at all, but that’s Mosh.

Thank you for your support. I have been following your points.

So I have cleared out all instances of anything related to this for a clean start. Important bit of info, I am running on a mac. I did look for the SQL installer, however there is only a selection that appears dedicated to Windows users.

Ah, yes he does it separately for the mac installation in the video, as well. Check the it on youtube MySQL Tutorial for Beginners [Full Course]. It looks pretty dated, but at least you can see which versions used to work fine together.

Thanks I will give that a try.