Trouble Installing Underscore with NPM

Hi,

I am trying to install underscore but my npm version 5.5.1 does not support Node LTS v14.15.0

I have tried to uninstall/reinstall NodeJS. I also tried to update npm with npm install -g npm. Nothing seems to work. Can anyone help with this? I am new to NodeJS. Thank you.

3 Likes

Hi,
I actually struggled with this yesterday.
(and I think the error occurred because you downgraded your version of NPM to 5.5.1 to match Moshā€™sā€¦)
Hereā€™s what worked for me.
You do want to update NPM, and in order to do so you would have to delete the folders ā€˜npmā€™ and ā€˜npm-cacheā€™ at location ā€œ~AppData/Roamingā€ (press windows+r and then type ā€˜%AppData%ā€™ to get there)
then run: npm i -g npm@latest
hope this works

7 Likes

Hi Adina,

It worked! You are a lifesaver. Thank you!

1 Like

Yay!!
So glad to be able to help with my little experienceā€¦ :grinning:

That was a tough one to find out, thanks a lot Adina, it did work although using a newer version than Mosh is using, hope I can keep up with the course compatibility.
Mosh is good but cannot do all the troubleshooting that comes up I understand.

Lots of luck, xavicwm!!!

I have similar issue but i have mac. So above does not work?

I have tried similar approach to update npm with below commands but no luck:

sudo npm install -g npm@latest
and
sudo npm install -g npm@next
and
sudo npm install -g npm@6.14.11

Error:
WARNING: You are likely using a version of node-tar or npm that is incompatible with this version of Node.js.
Please use either the version of npm that is bundled with Node.js, or a version of npm (> 5.5.1 or < 5.4.0) or node-tar (> 4.0.1) that is compatible with Node.js 9 and above.
npm[30283]: ā€¦/src/node_zlib.cc:576:static void node::(anonymous namespace)::ZlibStream::Init(const FunctionCallbackInfov8::Value &): Assertion `args.Length() == 7 && ā€œinit(windowBits, level, memLevel, strategy, writeResult, writeCallback,ā€ " dictionary)"ā€™ failed.
1: 0x1012e4da5 node::Abort() (.cold.1) [/usr/local/bin/node]
2: 0x1000a6239 node::Abort() [/usr/local/bin/node]
3: 0x1000a60a1 node::Assert(node::AssertionInfo const&) [/usr/local/bin/node]
4: 0x10014c9c2 node::(anonymous namespace)::ZlibStream::Init(v8::FunctionCallbackInfov8::Value const&) [/usr/local/bin/node]

Fixed my own issue with reinstalling node.

Hi Adina, thanks for the tips. So, after npm i -g npm@latest, whatā€™s the next thing to do on the terminal? Still continue with the npm i -g parcel-bundler? I tried your steps but it didnā€™t work.

Hi Jayrix, when you reinstalled node to solve this problem, which version did you re-install? Did you use the LTS or the newest version?

Useful topic, thanks! :handshake:

Thank you, did it too, and itā€™s work for me!!!

I re-installed on the Mac and that worked for me. Thanksā€¦

Thanks a lot, Adina . this worked perfectly

Thank you! I have looked around for two days and many hours to find this solution.