React course out dated?

im trying to use the create-react-app package.
but it seems that the version that mosh is using (1.5.2) is no longer supported what should i do? did i jut wasted money?

I think you need to use “npx create-react-app” instead of npm

3 Likes

Yes the version that mosh using is outdated.
So you need to install the latest version and you don’t need to be worry to get errors through out entire course :wink:

4 Likes

I found a simple fix that you can use to get exactly the same app structure that mosh has:
npm uninstall create-react-app
npm uninstall -g create-react-app
npm install -g create-react-app@1.5.2
create-react-app --help //to check if installed correctly, should return the help info
create-react-app my-app --scripts-version=react-scripts@1.1.4
cd my-app
npm start

8 Likes

just install latest version, you should be fine.

I recommend yarn create react-app <your-app>. “yarn” is faster than “npm”.

1 Like

Hi! I followed your instruction and was able to create the react-app.

But in Mosh’s react course. section 2, lesson 2 on Setting Up the Project where Mosh created a counter-app, i ran into the same problem again…

" A template was not provided. This is likely because you’re using an outdated version of create-react-app.

Please note that global installs of create-react-app are no longer supported.

You can fix this by running npm uninstall -g create-react-app or yarn global remove create-react-app before using create-react-app again."

do you know what could be the reason?

Hi,
You must install nodejs first. And then follow this command, example:

npm i -g create-react-app
npx create-react-app first-react-app
cd first-react-app
npm start

Hi! thanks for the reply.
I have already gone through that process and i’ve already created react app
but now I’m supposed to create another app called “counter-app” but it’s not working again

to create another app must do this:

npx create-react-app counter-app
cd counter-app
npm start

yes, I think so that the react course is outdated.

I am following along with mosh and did everything as mosh does
but i’m still facing the same error again and again no matter how much i change my code

{_.get(item, column.path)}
i’m getting error in this line

Error: Objects are not valid as a React child (found: object with keys {_id, name}). If you meant to render a collection of children, use an array instead.

for reference this is my stackoverflow post regarding the same topic.

What version is the react course in?

I couldn’t get it working with Mosh’s version either, so I decided to install the current version of React (and every other install). I forced my way through and figured out how to do things the newer way (no classes all react functional components, hooks etc.) It was a big challenge but I now feel like I know the current version very well.
If you look at the last section, Mosh did add an update that shows many of the newer ways but I didn’t find that until the end and it doesn’t show you how to update the vidly project.
Mosh is an amazing teacher but I hope he updates this course at some point.
Let me know if you’d like my completed vidly project.

2 Likes

you’re the GOATTTTTTTTTTTT

Hi All,

Anyone please help me ? I enrolled the MasterReact and getting stuck at the section Calling Backend services. at the folder: vidly-api-node: i could not connecting to services as this required to install corrected libraries. Anyone done this before please help. I could not go further then.

Thank you for your time.
Best regards,
Thang

Hello, just started the react course and the version of create react app I installed has functional components while the lessons uses a create react app with class component. How do you suggest I move forward with the course? How can I rely on the content of the course to help me eventually work in production if the technology is so out of date?

Hi born_dead,

My problem has been solved. There is nothing wrong with lessons. The problem is we need to research more skills which support for the course OR have look previous posts to see how people to get the same errors and solved them.

Regards,
Thang

Hi born_dead,

I could not install the React as per the Mosh’s tutorial, and finally I decided to install as the guidelines of other resources. Once I installed, I noticed the same issue, which are based on the functional components.
However, as per the Mosh’s course, I moved ahead but now I’m having errors on pagination, filtering, and sorting - Displaying pages sections.
The errors are I could not get 3 buttons, instead I’m just getting one button or one page only.
Though I watch the videos many times and also checked my codes one by one, with Mosh’s codes. Even though, I could not found any mix types, so some body could help me to fix this issue, or if some body could send the resolved codes on this section, its much thankful.
Also, under this section, think we have to download the third party library called lodash, so I’m assuming my error might be due to this lodash.
So, if some body could explain me what’s exactly the lodash, its uses and functions.
Finally, if some body could help me to fix this error, its much respected and thanks in advance!