Study efficiency in your python course

Hello sir,
I am a beginner in programming. Can you recommend me study efficiency in your python course? because I just bought this course. so I don’t know the technique how to study your course to improve my skill. Can you give me some tips for your python tutorial?

What do you mean by “study efficiency”? Are you looking for the most “efficient” way to take Mosh’s course?

I think Mosh basically recommends watching the videos and completing the exercises as they come up. I suggest following along with the videos, pausing and re-watching if you need more time to comprehend the material. I am not sure there is any more “efficient” way to proceed through Mosh’s coursework other than doing that. Another option is to watch all of the videos, then go back and complete the exercises once you have seen the entire course. I do not recommend that because it is excessively time consuming and the exercises are interspersed in the material to go hand-in-hand with the material that was just presented in the instructional videos. Watching all of the videos a second time just to “complete” the course seems both unnecessary and wasteful of your time in my opinion - particularly if you are trying to be “efficient” (in any sense of the word).

study efficiency, I mean I want to learn code faster and faster on Mosh’s coursework in python.
so I want to know the tip for starting my journey. this is my first time studying code. so I don’t have skill to learn it faster and faster.

I think the fastest way to learn to code is by following along and writing some code yourself.

When Mosh is teaching you examples of how to do something, you should try it out for yourself, see if you can apply the ideas for yourself. Minimally, that means completing the exercises that Mosh has laid out for you in the coursework. I recommend you keep up as he lays things out for you in the course (in addition to just completing the exercises).

For example, suppose Mosh is teaching you about variables and you learn the syntax for declaring variables. Open up an IDE (or a REPL since Python has a nice REPL) and try to declare some variables for yourself to make sure you understand the concept.

Or suppose he just showed you how to create a class: make a few simple classes for yourself (ideally related, but not necessary). Just make sure you try out the new thing a few times to get some practice.

It may also help to come up with some motivating project for yourself. For example: I would like to create a program that does X to help me with Y. See if what you have just learned would be applicable to that project and try to apply it as you go. Maybe you keep that work or maybe you just use it as a learning example, but it can be useful to have something to test things out on.

Whatever you do, start diving in and seeing how it works. If you have questions, feel free to bring them up on this forum. Perhaps look at the questions others have asked to see if there are any useful insights already there.

Good luck!

1 Like

Thank for you advice, I appreciate it.

1 Like

My biggest recommendation is to have the videos open on a second screen if you are able. This allows you to follow along with your own IDE (In the Python course Mosh uses VSCode). By doing the coding alongside his instruction it will help your muscle memory & help you to remember what you are learning as you go.

Do not hesitate to pause and rewatch a section if you are confused.

Pause the video to ensure your code matches what he has written, any spelling errors or a missing comma or colon can cause your code to not work.

If you have any errors that are not run into during the course videos google them. Stack Overflow is a wonderful resource for figuring out problems & googling error codes is the best way to understand what went wrong so you can fix it & avoid the problem in the future.

It starts off seeming very difficult, but quickly you will start to understand. Best of luck on your journey!

2 Likes

Thank for you advice

1 Like

All good suggestions from @jmrunkle and @MHarten .

I would also like to add that if you are completely new to programming in general, which you said you are. Think to what made you want to learn to program in the first place. Were you interested in web, application, mobile…etc. Find a good entry level book that walks through the basics and has a few small projects.

I found that while the entry level stuff does not have everything you need to know, it usually covers the main things and will get you building. Give that some time and then when you are feeling confident, look into the more intermediate/advanced topics that can help you restructure those projects to be more effective.

This is just one approach. I use Mosh’s courses like a polished reference manual, instead of a guide for building projects. Not everything in the course will immediately apply or be required for what you are doing. I think if you have built some stuff already with the language then when you follow the course you will immediately see things and think “oooo I could use that to make this better!”.

2 Likes

Hi. As others already said, it is crucial you replicate what the video lecture shows you; and at a certain point, when / if the video shows you a passage already faced (maybe, with some variations) in previous lectures, I suggest you to stop the video and trying to figure out and code a solution by yourself before the explanation and to confront your solution with the one expressed in the lecture after your personal independent attempt.

I also suggest you a time management system, to maximize efficiency: when you are tired, you won’t learn anything, so it is important to break up your studying daily time into sessions, and to schedule your sessions, to be always as fresh (focused) as possible. The most common system I think is the so-called Pomodoro Technique. This page describes it: The Pomodoro Technique — Why It Works & How To Do It. There are various implementation of this technique, but you can use a simple web app to apply it: https://pomofocus.io/

As someone already said, it is also important to have a double monitor, as it allows you to follow the lecture by a side and to replicate it by the other side. But this solution could be dangerous for your neck. Ergonomics suggests avoiding any unnatural torsion of your neck while using the computer. At this regard, it could be better to have only one monitor, but with sufficient dimensions to split the lecture from your IDE, keeping their visibility/readability - you could consider an ultra-wide/curved monitor.

Greetings Mey

Solid tip = assuming you use vscode, as you build code, and let’s say you sense something is being developed in stages, for instance Mosh has several lectures on the same thing, how about . . . Do a save-as and store the progressions off in numerical sequence. Maybe in a subfolder nearby.

Here’s why. Something gets messed up, aw crap, and where’d it go wrong and you don’t have a fall-back. Friend, just open up the previous good version (copy paste in the working version of course) and take another go at it . . . whew

Kdc100

Or use a revision control system like Git which is a million times better than storing random extra files with special names.

3 Likes

Yeah, Git is such a better option!

1 Like

Use either multiple screens (one to see video) and another screen to code.
I personally use a wide screen to see video on half the screen and have pycharm (I am not using vscode as advised in course) open on other half.

Also go throught the python cheat sheet by Mosh. It gives an overview of Python is smallest possible way.

Many things you won’t understand initially. When that happens see the video again. If still you don’t understand fully, do some Google search on topic. Keep watching next videos. Revisit old videos when you come across exercise with related concept.

You will do good.