Learning Typescript

Hi all,

Please help me to understand, in order to learn Typescript one should know JavaScript? Please advise.

Learning JavaScript will help you understand TypeScript, and vice versa. According to their docs:

The answer is that you can’t learn TypeScript without learning JavaScript! TypeScript shares syntax and runtime behavior with JavaScript, so anything you learn about JavaScript is helping you learn TypeScript at the same time.

But I don’t think you must learn JavaScript before learning TypeScript, I think you can learn both at the same time.

1 Like

TypeScript is essentially JavaScript, it’s just more strongly written.

like in java and C++

1 Like

I’d definitely recommend doing a JS course before embarking on a TS one. TypeScript has its own syntax - it’s a superset of JS and has to compile to pure JS before it can run. But most of what you’ll write will still be JS and to write good TypeScript code you’ll want to write good JavaScript code too. Writing poor JS will make your TS experience painful.

There may be courses which bundle the learning together and if so, I’m sure they section things up so that both JS and TS learning requirements are managed effectively.

1 Like