Outdated version of create-react-app?

I got this error on both the Mac and PC trying to follow lesson 3 of the course. Please advise.

Biz Barrett

Hi Biz,

I think you posted in the wrong category [React Native] (Programming Smart Phones)

If you intended to post it in [React], then I would recommend:

Installing the latest version of Node. Then,

$npm i -g create-react-app@latest // As Admin

Then for example:
Go to the top dir that you wish:
C:\ReactPractice\MasteringReact>npx create-react-app react-app

should work fine.

-Jerry

Thanks Jerry, it worked on the PC but on the MAC it is saying “This Operation was rejected by your operating system.” After trying to run the npm command you gave me. Any clues?

BB

BB,

Sorry, I don’t use MAC. Good luck!

-Jerry

did you put sudo command before npm

yes i did but it’s an old 2012 MacPro and I cant load Big Sur so how do I get version 11.7 of XCode on my mac?

Scroll down on this page for a table that shows what versions of Xcode are compatible with what MAC OS versions.
https://developer.apple.com/support/xcode/

Yes XCode 11.7 is compatible with a 2012 Macpro via this list, but when i go to app store or Apple Dev Page this version is not available to be downloaded. I am so frustrated. Thanks for the response.

Doing the upgrade is not for the faint-of-heart. And, yes, the App Store approach doesn’t work – it has to be done manually. (i.e., download the specific files from the Apple website.)

I have a 2017 Macbook Air with 8GB RAM, and I couldn’t run iOS Simulator and some of the other dev tools on it. Plus, my machine doesn’t have the hardware capabilities for BigSur. I was able to upgrade to MacOS Catalina 10.15.7 and Xcode 12.0. That combination has been working OK.

You need be very careful – make sure your Mac can handle the OS version that you decide to try before you start. The newer OS versions put a lot of strain on the hardware. (I had to go back and disable a bunch of iCloud stuff because my Mac cooling fan ran almost all the time after the upgrade to Catalina.)

Sorry I can’t give you a step-by-step. I used a couple different blog articles I found online, along with some trial and error. It is not an easy process.