Anyone Working in tech company right now?

Anyone working in any tech company? Need advice

1 Like

We have a super star working at Google in here AFAIK
I am currently under training and I should be working for a Digital Service Company beginning December if everything goes smooth.

1 Like

What sorta advice do you need? I’m sure there are a few of us working in tech on here (besides me).

I’m in my final year of university(CS) and i’m struggling with placements. No matter how much i try i just cant seem to pass the test. Any tips?

Need some advice about interviews and jobs.

First, I’d recommended some practical books on interviewing at tech companies like “Cracking the coding interview” by McDowell and “Programming Interviews Exposed: Secrets to Landing Your Next Job” from Wiley.

Given your other post about Java, I suggest making yourself really familiar with Java by practicing on sites like HackerRank, Codewars, etc. I also think following the advice in Joshua Block’s Effective Java is an outstanding way to make your Java code really excellent and help you to stand out in interviews.

You also want to be pretty knowledgeable about Algorithms especially about how to identify the Big O complexity of a particular piece of code. Mostly this means identifying things like “how many times do we loop through the input?” Read more books about this if you need help. Robert Sedgwick has a fantastic website (which accompanies and augments his book): Algorithms, 4th Edition by Robert Sedgewick and Kevin Wayne.

Data structures are also important, but more like knowing which tools are at your disposal. Choosing the wrong tool can make it difficult to come up with any working solution. It helps to know which classes in your programming language use particular data structures.

In the interviews themselves, I suggest trying to remember that you actually enjoy programming and think of it more like a day spent doing something you enjoy with other people who share that passion. Focus less on your direct goal of “getting the job” and more on enjoying the experience. If you are more at ease, it can really help the interviews flow.

When I interview, I look for thought process and clear communication more than “perfect code” since even the best programmers make mistakes (particularly under pressure). If you can identify a mistake by going back over your code and stepping through the logic, that is more impressive anyway since it shows you really understand how your code works. I am certain my own interview had a blunder or two.

Finally, it may help to spend some time getting code reviewed by more experienced engineers. One of the easiest ways to accomplish this is to contribute code on open source projects. Depending on your interests, it is usually easy to find a project where you can get a bit of mentoring while you contribute.

2 Likes

All the above is great advice.

There are a lot of job postings out there where either employers would like to either have automated processes for the job tasks, or they are not even aware what could be automated. They usually do not include them in the posting because they just need to fill the position, but I am sure they would like to hear how a candidate could automate repetitive tasks away.

For example, I am a Mechanical Designer. Typically, when a customer needs a product they will first call to request a quote, CAD model and drawing of the product. If they want to purchase it then we will start manufacturing and then ship the item out. This process can be very taxing to resources of the engineering and sales teams to model a custom product, make the blueprints from the product, generate a formal quote and submit. There might be several iterations of a product before it is agreed upon. Companies can quickly become overwhelmed this way.

I ended up creating a web application to automate a large portion of this away. The end user logs into a web application, enters their requirements via a form. The models, drawings and quote are generated and emailed back to them within minutes, as opposed to hours or even days. We need less team members to meet our requirements.

I am mentioning this because working for a “tech company” is not the only option you have. If you can look at a requirements of a job posting and see tasks can be improved via the skills you have with your background, then go for it. Explain in an interview what you can bring to the table, and if you have projects that show you are capable. It will make you stand out against other candidates and will also build your experience, which can be applied to another position, if that is your goal.

3 Likes

Hi.
This is a difficult part for many juniors.
I could pass the technical tests sometimes (almost) perfectly yet never got answered back. I have soft skills too. In my own experience very few will much further than scratch the surface. They seem to apply a checklist blindly.
Until lately I had 2 companies which really wanted me.
One I would be a C# dev by now.
The other wants me as a Java dev, hence my current training.

The first had me interviewed by 2 dev one front and back. They told I know more they’d expect for a junior dev.

The other for which I train, because of my attitude. I simply lacked time on my test (missed 2 questions) yet write to them later with further thoughts on the said questions. My contact appreciated that and here I am.

I would honestly prefer becoming a C# dev, but as I have been struggling with placements just like you, I just picked the company that gave me a concrete proposition first. Both have been at least correct and even sometimes warm with me, which I find extremely valuable.
I of course answered the other company and thank them for the consideration along with being transparent on what happened. This is precious to keep in touch and good relations when you meet people like this.
There is still a small chance I do not get hired for the Java company but it is rather unlikely. I’d say its a 90+ % sure I will be hired. Thought the final one has yet to happen, I already have agreements fulfilled.

Outside my internships, I have little pro experience. Most of what I did is keep pushing on my own.
Talking of internship and looking back I could only underline how important it is to have a real supervision. I did mine in autonomy in a team (of other interns i.e. with little exp.) with different visions. I was pulling my hair when one of the guy butchered my part of the project just to be able to watch GPS coordinates. Refusing to use GIT because “it’s a burden”. B*tching on the client. A member left the team the last month without saying and did not answer back and so on and more. Ah the human experience! Well that’s a story for the next century. :slight_smile:

A common thing I read is if you keep up in the field for 2 years you’ll have it easier to find another job.

I can just tell you to keep pushing until you make it. And of course wishing from the bottom of my heart that everyone of you meet the right person/people along the way.

Cheers

4 Likes