Unable to deploy the Vidly backend

Hi, are there any updated instructions for deploying the vidly backend to heroku. mlabs.com is now cloud.mongodb.com and they have different connection methodology to the instructions in the Mastering React course. I was able to deploy the front end but it can’t see the backend. Also i need some instruction on how to populate the cloud database with data.
Thank you.
Loved the course. Looking forward to React Native next. Is there a module on how to handle forgotten passwords in React?

Creating production DB on mongodb.com

I wrote this for helping someone else, but I hope it will help you as well. In case you have trouble, make sure you haven’t made a mistake in the earlier steps. Otherwise you can reply to me with relevant details.

1. For creating a MongoDB cluster, you can refer to this video which explains it really well - How To Set A Free Cluster On MongoDB Atlas - YouTube
  2. Now you need the connection URL (which will be used by the server to connect to the database). This video explains (from 5:43 to 6:25) how you can get it - https://youtu.be/uMVHDbTOIvk?t=343
  3. In the connection URL (that you got in the previous step), replace with the database user’s password (which was added at 3:18 in How To Set A Free Cluster On MongoDB Atlas - YouTube) and replace myFirstDatabase or with whatever DB name you’d like to have (e.g. vidly-app).
  4. Now save this connection URL somewhere, and do not share it with anyone.

For populating data to the production DB:

1. replace the value against the “db” in the default.json with your production connection URL
  2. run seed.js.
1 Like

Thanks so much for taking the time to answer. I will try this as soon as i finish the React Native course i’m currently working through.
Cheers
Matthew