New to coding and struggling with remembering the stuff I learn

Hey guys,
I’m pretty new to python and coding in general, tho I have a very little background on coding. anyways, I’ve enrolled in the python course and I’ve completed almost 50% of it but I feel like I still don’t know how to use what I’ve learnt. I can’t solve alot of the exercises at the end of the sections. any tips or things I should do to maybe understand things better or how to apply it?
Thank you for your time.

Hey @GoroBRando, Welcome to the forum.

I was in a similar boat as you. What helped me was understanding that not every detail needs to be remembered upfront. Just the high level concepts at first then once you have a project then it will be cemented better. Also practice, practice, practice!

Is there a particular topic that you are having issues with? Let me know and we can work together.

Georgio

2 Likes

Thanks!
There isnt a particular topic, it’s just that I feel overwhelmed cause I can’t remember what I learnt. also, what projects do you recommend for a beginner such as me?
I’m still at the very start but alot of ppl told me to start creating small projects but I’m having a problem with it, I don’t know what to do.

I hear you, Take it one step at a time (Small chunks).

If you are interested we can work through the “Fizz Buzz” example. It’s strait forward and covers Variables, For loop, and Flow control(If statement).

Practice:
Print every number from 1 to 100 (both included) on a new line. Numbers which are multiple of 3, print “Fizz” instead of a number. For the numbers which are multiples of 5, print “Buzz” instead of a number. For the number which is multiple of both 3 and 5, print “FizzBuzz” instead of numbers.

Post back with any questions or your answer.

I was in the same boat. I took notes as I went, but by 25% I had to stop and try and use what I’d learnt. So, I set myself a project to make a calculator, using each concept I’d learnt so far. I started simple and when I got stuck I’d either look at my notes or just ask ‘Mr Google’ for the right way to use a loop, print or what ever else I needed. The project turned out to be a great learning tool giving me a ‘pat on the back’ when something worked or a few sleepless nights when I couldn’t achieve what I wanted. I also discovered some cool things along the way. Now all those original lessons seem to have a purpose. I’m still working on the calculator and will continue with it until I’ve exhausted everything I’ve learnt so far in the course. Then I’ll go back to the course for the next section :slight_smile:

1 Like