Need Hyperlink Help, File W/in a Folder, W/in a Folder

Everything is resolved in this case… Thanks to @eelsholz, so please read on if you want a blow by blow and solutions to two issues.

To start… I cant display the code in this message because it executes the attempted code instead of displaying it, so if someone could tell me how to display it, that would be great so people could see my code since i cant put a picture in yet. otherwise if you are fluent in this forum already if you could find the code that i have tried to insert into this message that would be cool too. then maybe instruct me on how to do that as well for the future so i can do it myself or tell someone else how to do it.

LIGHTBULB MOMENT: ah thats how… just figured it out through trial and error. just highlight the text you want not executed and hit the “preformatted text” button in the top banner of the text box. looks like “</>”. (sidenote: if you want to do this in real life… not on this webpage, so you can show text without executing it on a webpage… use the <pre></pre> & <code></code> tags

like this

<pre>
<code>
<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
  <head>
    <meta charset="UTF-8" />
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge" />
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0" />
    <title>Document</title>
</code>
</pre>

and it will show your code on the webpage.

my second real problem is as follows…

EDIT: no need to read any further if you are looking to help. I figured the below problem out through another post. for those of you with same problem look up " Cannot get error to hyperlink page" in the search part of this forum. it will give you the exact answer your looking for. The reason i cant just post it here is because i dont know how to post code here yet without the engine executing it. will post when i figure it out.

quick answer is right here: I was doing this

<a href="company/index.html"> click </a>

but instead i needed to do this (and just add a “/” to the beginning of my href) because The company folder is at the root of my root project, not in the Hyperlinks folder, so i needed to add a slash to the front of the path. like below. still odd how mosh got away with it though… seeing as his was set up like the above. anyway. its solved.

<a href="/company/index.html"> click </a>

I am set up EXACTLY like mosh in the video ( The Ultimate HTML5 & CSS3 Series: Part 1, section 5. Hyperlinks), where I tell my hyperlink to go to another folder but it stays in the same folder. It DOESN’T do this when I DON’T have a “father” folder, containing both folders. I have tried all variances of it but I don’t know how I am messing up.

I’m not sure the snapshot of the problem will even populate. It’s just sad because my text and vs code screen looks identical to his and I am having issues. This is the error it gives me, whenever I try any of those

Cannot GET /Images/company/index.html

Thanks for the help,

Dean

P.S.

Tried to put embedded media (ie picture) but this forum won’t let me since I am a new user so ill will copy and paste code and error message below.

<!DOCTYPE html>
<html lang="en">
  <head>
    <meta charset="UTF-8" />
    <meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=edge" />
    <meta name="viewport" content="width=device-width, initial-scale=1.0" />
    <title>Document</title>
  </head>
  <body>
    <a href="company/index.html"> click </a>
  </body>
</html>

that is the code… but it executes the code, still trying to figure out how to not execute the code

ah thats how… just figured it out through trial and error. just highlight the text you want not executed and hit the “preformatted text” button in the top banner of the text box. looks like “</>”

this is the error message

Cannot GET /Images/company/index.html

Two folders are in the HTML folder… and then the .jpg and index.html are in the company folder.