Is anyone else interested in earning the Reader badge?

Nope ? :cry:
OMG I need the community dev fam!

Either it needs some time to process, either this badge isnā€™t as simple. :grin:

Badge granting is often delayed. I think he runs a job like once a day for certain types of badges. Needing to have read a centi-thread is probably one of those types of badges.

1 Like

Oh I see.
Anyway I can stop spreading BS on that topic haha. :sunglasses:

Related: I was just granted the badge so I assume it will not take you long to get it as well. Just make sure you have read the whole thread (at least scrolled through).

2 Likes

Yes I saw you got it but still nothing on my side.
I wonder how this reading part is determined.
I assumed it may be by scrolling top to bottom.
Then I though it could be because of precisely reaching each answer.
When you scroll to a number on the bar on the right, it also changes the URL in the address bar in the browser.
So I went ballistic and I did that in dev console.

Sometimes I got messages telling Iā€™m a bad peanut and I should slowdown a bit

1 Like

Maybe do the exact same loop, but use a 10s sleep so that it seems like you spent 10s reading each of the replies?

function sleep(s) {
    return new Promise(resolve => setTimeout(resolve, s*1000));
}

for (i = 0; i < 101; i++) {
  window.open(
    "https://forum.codewithmosh.com/t/is-anyone-else-interested-in-earning-the-reader-badge/12911/"+i,
    "_blank");
  await sleep(10);
}

Something like that.

1 Like

I did such thing yesterday and no badge.
I believe the badge system does not like me. :cry:
I think out of anger and frustrationā€¦ I will open my IDE and furiously code something. :laughing:

I just paid attention to this:

Does it means you actually need to leave the page open for long enough?
Or would it be more complex than that?
Is reading time tracked somehow?

I also just paid attention to the summarize topic button.

1 Like

OK I noticed that also but still nothing.

EDIT: At this point I did try 4 different browsers and gone through the topic from top to bottom on each making sure the URL updates in the bar and I go through every single value.

On the one hand I am intrigued and curious to know how this badge and reading of posts is evaluated.
On the other hand only the devs behind that knows and I will stop trying as I have other stuff to do. Maybe later.

@codewithmosh or @Mosh - is there anything special required to ā€œreadā€ a post in order to actually get the Reader badge? It looks like it was only granted to me even though UniqueNospaceShort has also tried reading the whole thread multiple times.

1 Like

Congratulation guys!! We did it :slight_smile:

I do not have the badge neither though haha

Update, I got it! Maybe check again ^^

2 Likes

Thanks for asking. I just checked and for now 4 people got it.

Note I also did disable ad blockers for this is a possible cause of the thing not functioning.

Should we get details, I would give it a try.

Did you use mobile device or PC browsers as I did ?
Did try Opera, Chrome, Edge and Firefox on my side on Win10.
I will quickly try on mobile.

Now another assumption is that my scripted attempt possibly prevents me to get it. If so, can it be sorted?

1 Like

For me, I was on Chrome using my Android phone. No ad blockers, etc other than whatever is built-in to Chrome. Hope it works out!

1 Like

Chrome with ad blocker on MacOs, didnā€™t try anything else!

I just connected and I got it.
I used the site on mobile, went through the topic and left the page open at least as long as the estimated reading time. I did not notice the badge at that time so maybe someone did the change manually somehow. Thanks.

EDIT: According to the badge page I got it 17 hours ago which is a bit after midnight as it is 17:34 here in France. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I look forward to getting the badge as well!

This thread has some interesting conversation if you really through all of it, haha.

1 Like

That is awesome!!! I wish more companies came up with ideas and systems like this.