Hello Guys, please any help with this ? I'd be very grateful thanks The term 'pipenv' is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program

pipevn : The term ‘pipevn’ is not recognized as the name of a cmdlet, function, script file, or operable program. Check the spelling of the name, or if a path was
included, verify that the path is correct and try again.
At line:1 char:1

• pipevn install django==2.1
  •   + CategoryInfo          : ObjectNotFound: (pipevn:String) [], CommandNotFoundException
      + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CommandNotFoundException

Isn’t it supposed to be pipenv? Where env is short for environment?

1 Like

Sorry I wanted to say pipenv.

The error message shows that you typed pipevn instead of pipenv at the terminal…

1 Like

That is what I’m saying. I have been typing pipenv. I just made a mistake by typing pipevn. With pipenv I still get the same error message

What operating system are you using? Windows, MacOS, etc?

I’m using Windows 11. Just so confused. I have exhausted so many possible solutions to no avail.

Are you running pipenv through PowerShell, the command prompt (cmd.exe), or some other way?

1 Like

NOTE: assuming you have the pipenv binary installed, it is most likely the case that you do not have the full path to pipenv in your PATH variable. One way to bypass the problem is to specify the full path to the pipenv binary (assuming you know where it is).

1 Like

I’m running pipenv through the Terminal of visual Studio Code

Please where can I find the full path to the pipenv binary ?

VSCode is going to be running a particular terminal software - do you know what type of terminal it is running? Maybe grab a screenshot of what it looks like might be enough for me to tell. It could be Gitbash, PowerShell, or the command prompt (possibly others as well).

The following should tell you where packages are installed:

pip list -v

If using a bash-like setup, it would usually go in /usr/local/bin/pipenv, but on Windows it is probably some path more like c:\users<someuser>\appdata\roaming\python<pythonversion>\scripts\pipenv.

Hello,
After entering pip list -v, here is what I get. Please how do I proceed ?
Thank you for your time you are devoting to help me out. I really do appreciate.

Hello,
Is this what you meant by the type of terminal vscode is running ?

Great, the long path on the line with pipenv is the path to that binary. You should be able to copy that (basically everything from c: onwards) to use as the full path. You could also try adding that directory to your PATH variable which would allow you to use pipenv directly.

I am not certain if the " pip" at the end of the line is part of the path so you may want to at least try entering the full path once:

c:\users\felic\...(rest of path)\pipenv

Yes, that shows you are using PowerShell for your terminal in VSCode.

You can add a path to the PowerShell path like this:

$Env:Path += ';c:\some\path'

Hello,
Please how do I add the path ?

See the second part of my last answer.

Env:Path += ‘;c:\some\path’

Do you mean I should paste the above in the terminal of vscode ?

Yes, but the path should be the one from the output of pip list -v:

$Env:Path += ';c:\users\felic\...(rest of the path)'

For some background: the purpose of the Path is to tell the terminal application where to look for binaries when you are not going to fully specify the path to the binary. It will look for all of the binaries in each of the semicolon-separate paths you have specified in the Path (or PATH on MacOS / Linux systems).