React course is outdated (New Course Available)

Hi,

it is not at all harsh.

For someone that does not know anything about React (on top of which you add not really having used Node before), to be faced with installing a specific version of React, to then find the very first exercises do not work - criticism is more than justified.

The reason I bought this course was that I do not have time to dig into the minutia of these technologies - courses like these are supposed to give a kick start and an easy reference to get you started. On those measures, this course failed miserably.

Refund or no refund, it has wasted my time and left a bad taste in my mouth.

Mosh has other courses that I have found to be very good - but not this one.

Sorry to disagree.

2 Likes

No need to apologise for disagreeing dude!

I agree that it should be updated. I just think it would still have value IF a disclaimer was given about the age of the content before purchase.

At the end of the day, you can still build perfectly functional apps with the things Mosh teaches here, it’s just an older, outdated way of doing it (and you’d need to do a tiny bit of research about the updated Bootstrap version as a few things have changed there too). And tbh, updating the app to the modern way of doing things isn’t even that difficult. Though I do appreciate that for a beginner, learning something that’s already outdated is frustrating.

1 Like

Well this is great news considering I just paid for this course that is apparently outdated and pointless. Would be great to get a refund but seriously doubt that will be an option.

1 Like

So @comituairma, some harsh criticism which I cannot completely agree with. I am a professional developer and have done many courses on Django, Python, C++, C# etc. from both Mosh and others. Mosh’s courses are top class. Some of them are (maybe) old but you have to understand that software releases are very frequent and it is perhaps not entirely fair to expect all instructors to keep updating all their courses whenever a new release occurs.

And the courses based on previous releases are still fantastic to learn the tools. You can always make the effort yourself afterwards to understand what the difference with the never versions are. This is what being a developer is all about. Keeping up with changes and not always relying on others to do it for you.

Happy coding!

3 Likes

Hi Paul,

is it fair to assume that the examples provided in a course actually work?

If they do not work, how likely is it that a novice (to the technology) would be able to debug the issues?

Yes, one can always choose to do ones’ research off of ones’ own effort. However, when you purchase a course you do so with the expectation that at least your effort will be guided without too many headaches. That is the whole point - to give yourself a kick start.

Mosh has many excellent courses. It is a shame that he has let himself down with this particular course on React. Also, the course was not advertised as “take this course and debug my out-of-date code”.

I disagree that my original criticism was “harsh”.

Good hunting.

1 Like

wow, i was wondering am i the only one feeling that this course is outdated, i bought this in sept and just started reading it, with in first hour i felt this is out dated.

i feel very bad about this course

1 Like

Due to a lot of requests, I created a brand new React course covering the latest tools and techniques for building modern applications with React and TypeScript.

https://codewithmosh.com/p/ultimate-react-part1

The old course (Mastering React) will stay in library since there are many legacy React apps built with class components. Take the old course only if you have to maintain an older React project that was built with class-based components. For new projects, I encourage you to explore our latest React 18 course.

Heyy Mosh, I’m your top fan read all these comments made by people who cuz they paid money don’t want to do any research of their own just want to be spoon fed. I tool the react course myself and didn’t have any problems with it… A little bit of researching and all that. Guess some people just don’t understand you won’t be with them to troubleshoot issues when they get jobs and that all these is part of the software development process. Just kinda felt bad for all the harsh comments, but i know you are strong Mosh.

2 Likes

I agree with dami. Programming is about learning to do research and solving problems on your own. If you want to be a programmer get used to it because you will have to do it in the real world. Better to do now then struggle later at work. I took old react course too, yes some errors but nothing a quick google search didn’t resolve and guess what I learned something too that I otherwise wouldn’t.

Its not Mosh fault software industry moves fast and its impossible to keep his videos 100% up to date. I am fan here too Mosh, please don’t let haters bring you down we are all really grateful for your work and content

2 Likes